Named for Sir William Arrol, a Scottish civil engineer and bridge builder, Arrol Gantry was constructed at the Harland & Wolff shipyard to facilitate the construction of the massive Olympic-class liners contracted by the White Star Line in 1907. The Arrol Gantry remained at Harland & Wolff until the late 1960’s when it was finally torn down to make room for storage and parking facilities. The slab of rusted steel mounted on this plaque was salvaged from the Arrol Gantry while it was being torn down. Most of the decrepit gantry was sold for scrap, with the exception of one beam that was kept by Harland & Wolff. This beam was later cut into 2 inch by 3 inch pieces and mounted on hand polished boards of English walnut similar to that used in the first class common areas of Titanic.