Harland & Wolff Postcard
Founded in 1861 by Edward James Harland and Gustav Wilhelm Wolff, the Harland & Wolff shipyard of Belfast, Ireland was the exclusive shipbuilder for the White Star Line. With the laying down of her keel on March 31st, 1909, the White Star Line’s new Titanic became the 401st ship constructed at the Queen’s Island facility, and the second of White Star’s Olympic-Class liners. To accommodate their construction, the Harland & Wolff shipyard had to construct a state-of-the-art scaffolding system known as the Arrol Gantry. This 1911 postcard shows the nearly completed bow of the Titanic peering up out of the Arrol Gantry structure. Titanic’s nearly identical sister Olympic has already been launched leaving the gantry berth next to Titanic empty.